Are you motivated to make a difference in the lives of others? If so, consider this challenging opportunity to provide professional social work services to inmates at the Department of Justice’s Thunder Bay Correctional Center .
Ontario Public Service (OPS) is one of the largest employers in the province and offers a wide range of career opportunities. We believe in our core values of Trust, Equity, Diversity, Excellence, Creativity, Collaboration, Efficiency and Responsiveness. We are committed to creating a positive and inclusive work environment and being the employer of choice. We invite you to join our team!
OPS is recognized as a premier employer. We are proud to be recognized as one of the
• Canada’s Top 100 Employers
• Canada’s Best Diversity Employers
• Top Employers in Greater Toronto
• Canada’s Greenest Employer
• Canada’s Top Employer for Youth
OPS Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility and Anti-Racism:
We build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and fair workplace. is working on
Invitees all interested individuals to apply, including persons with disabilities, indigenous, black, racialized individuals, and people of diversity of ethnic and cultural origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression We encourage applications from
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about OPS’ efforts to promote racial equality, accessibility, diversity and inclusion in public services. please
We provide an employment environment throughout all aspects of the recruitment process and employment in line with the requirements of the Ontario Human Rights Code. If you require disability-related accommodation, please see the application instructions below.
What can you expect in this role?
• Work fully with professionals and inmates to develop a discharge plan
• Providing crisis intervention services;
• Preparation and maintenance of evaluation and statistical reports
• Development and operation of in-house rehabilitation programs and certified core rehabilitation programs
• Participate in social work research activities and evaluate treatment programs and services
• Provide social work counseling and training to staff;
• perform other duties as required;
Location: Thunder Bay
How do I qualify?
• You are currently enrolled as a social worker in good standing at the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Services Workers (OCWSWSSW).
expertise and experience
• You have in-depth knowledge and experience in social work theory, principles and practice typically acquired through a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) or Master of Social Work (MSW).
• Develop rehabilitation programs/treatment plans and provide individual/group therapy and crisis interventions.
• Knowledge of risk assessment tools and rehabilitation/treatment placement options to recommend appropriate classification placement of inmates.
• knowledge of community support services to help inmates develop reintegration plans;
• Acquire and apply knowledge of relevant laws (Department of Corrections Services Act, Social Work and Social Services Act, etc.) and operational policies and procedures.
communication and interpersonal skills
• Communicate with clients, correctional staff, and community support services
• Connect and build trust with diverse customer groups with diverse cultures, ethnicities, educational backgrounds and complex needs.
• Strong written communication skills creating case notes, assessments, progress and statistical reports
• Can work effectively in a multidisciplinary environment, including external institutions
• You have demonstrated resourcefulness, discretion, sensitivity, and an ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
Analysis, evaluation and problem-solving skills
• Collect and compile data from multiple sources to identify inmate needs and create/modify rehabilitation, treatment, and case management plans.
• Assess inmates at risk and apply appropriate therapeutic interventions
Other essential skills
• Have organizational skills to manage conflicting priorities, meet deadlines, and maintain good records
• Be familiar with computers, associated software, and database systems for entering and retrieving inmate data, generating reports, and managing case documentation and statistics.
Salary range: $1,231.98 – $1,564.23 per week
• 1 Temporary, for a maximum period of 6 months (with possible extension), 2351 Hwy 61 S, Thunder Bay, North Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS.
• In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS) Employment Screening Check Policy (ESCP), top candidates may be required to undergo a security screening check. See above to determine the screening checks required for this position.
Required security screening checks, along with written consent, are sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Development, Talent and Leadership to evaluate the results. Where applicable, the TSO will, with your written consent, request and obtain additional employment screening checks not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal criminal records does not automatically mean that you are ineligible for the job. Reviewed and rated by The details of an individual’s employment screening check will be considered in relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled.
Records of the selection process will be kept by the TSO and will be kept strictly confidential.
• At this time, all employees working in collective living settings must prove they are fully vaccinated. This means she is fully vaccinated as per the Department of Health definition, including 14 (see her COVID-19 full immunization status in Ontario). A calendar day has passed since you received your last dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
Employees who do not provide proof of full vaccination are considered “unvaccinated” under employer policy and are required to participate in a vaccine education program as determined by their employer. Employees who have not been vaccinated under a policy with a valid medical exemption are not required to participate in the vaccine education program. All employees working in group living settings should undergo regular rapid antigen testing regardless of vaccination status.
Apply online only at www.ontario.ca/careers by Tuesday, October 11, 2022, citing Job ID 185774. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. We do not currently accept faxes.
If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please provide your contact information by contacting www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx. A staff member of our recruitment services will contact you within 48 hours. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Ontario Public Service is a comprehensive employer. Accommodation is provided in accordance with Ontario regulations.
human rights code.
#Social #Worker #TBNewsWatchcom